Sõjaudu

Eestlased ning eestlastest koosnevad üksused, relvad, lahingud, varustus, autasud jne jne...
Vasta
Kasutaja avatar
Kriku
Moderaator
Kontakt:

Sõjaudu

Postitus Postitas Kriku »

What a shitshow. Reminds of of some stories of chaos in Normandy in ww2. My grandpa fought in the hedgerow country of France in the US third army and told me one time a German convoy drove into an American convoy near their HQ and neither side could tell what the fuck was going on. Some Americans surrendered to the Germans and some Germans surrendered to the Americans along this big stretch of road and others shot eachother and then finally my grandpas unit got there and took ALL the Germans prisoner or killed them if they fought back

Fog of war is real
I wish I could elaborate more, my grandpa died in 2004 and my mom passed on most of his stories as well as a little memoir he wrote for us grandkids. There’s a lot of crazy stories from ww2 like this that don’t usually get made into movies. I can recommend a book called spearhead by Adam Makos which is a firsthand account of an American tank gunner in ww2. That book has some similar stories of fog of war and confusion. There’s one where a German panther tank with an exhausted crew literally drove into an American HQ, and the equally exhausted and sleep deprived American MPs directed it into a parking space. The Germans got out and realized they fucked up and surrendered.

It’s similar to Ukraine I think, you’ve got hundreds of thousands of soldiers fighting eachother on a large front, it’s not wonder so many crazy encounters wild stories and ridiculous events take place

There’s another story in the same book where a German tank at night drove into the American tankers 360 degree security, and Parked. It was so dark nobody could see it and it was in between American tanks on the line. At some point the Germans realized this but they couldn’t turn the engine on or give themselves away. All the tank gunners literally sat behind their gunsights until the sun came up to see who’d get the first shot off and it ended up being an American who fired a shot into the side of the PzIV.

Similar to Spearhead, my grandpas ww2 stories and very real and brutal. No bullshit just an infantryman account. He entered the war in Normandy and got wounded by a German tank shell and knocked out of the war only about a month and a half later. His whole combat experience was that short but in that time he went from PFC to Sergeant, to a battlefield commission to 2LT. Also got a bronze star with valor. He once spent 2 entire days in a ditch with a German machine gunner shooting bursts into his backpack which was sticking up above the ditch everytime he moved. His mission had been literally to bang pots and pans at night until they shot at him and gave away their position. He ended up being passed down an order to fix bayonets and charge but at the last minute as he was about to die his company commander refused the orders and told them so stand down because he knew they’d all get killed. He credited that CO with saving his life but the guy got relieved of command and sent back to the US in humiliation. My grandpa was 19 at the time and couldn’t remember the guys name when he wrote his memoir 60 years later

I miss him. I have his medals in my place displayed on the wall and I look at them a lot
Thanks man! If you read that one and want more, I also read another called “ Tank Action: An Armoured Troop Commander's War 1944–45” that’s by a British tank commander in ww2. Has just as many absolutely crazy stories but from the British perspective at the same time. Common themes are the absolute chaos and confusion of combat as well as those damn Sherman’s going up like matchbooks if they got hit. That book is also sort of hilarious because it is a posh English gentleman describing machine gunning Germans off of friendly tanks with an MP40 but maintaining his English stature the whole time lol

I imagine years from now we’re going to be reading some Ukrainian tankers accounts of this war
Thanks, I try to share as many of his stories as I can. He was an incredible man, as was his brother who was also in the war as an intel officer and went AWOL several times to find my grandpas foxhole and spend the day with him on the front before sneaking back to his unit lol
https://www.reddit.com/r/CombatFootage/ ... &context=3
Vasta

Kes on foorumil

Kasutajad foorumit lugemas: Registreeritud kasutajaid pole ja 7 külalist